New RBI guidelines for Cheque Truncation

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has prescribed new guidelines on standardization of security features of cheques, which are aimed at enhancing customer safety and facilitating easier processing.

Please note that as per RBI guidelines, non CTS-2010 cheques should be withdrawn before December 31, 2012. Please go through the FAQs below to:

• Identify whether your existing cheque book is CTS-2010 compliant
• Request for a new cheque book, if required

Also, please note that RBI has advised all banks holding post-dated EMI cheques to arrange for replacement of non-CTS-2010 Standard cheques with CTS-2010 Standard cheques. If you have availed a loan and have given post dated cheques to your lending bank, do get in touch with them for advice on the next steps.

Should you have any other query, you can check with your existing Banker.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for CTS-2010 Standard Cheque System

Q1. How do I identify if my cheque book is CTS-2010 compliant?

Please look for the letters “CTS-2010″ printed vertically on the cheque leaf (near the perforation on the left side)

If the letters “CTS-2010″ are present here, your cheque book is CTS-2010 compliant

Q2. My cheque book is CTS-2010 compliant and the above feature is present in my cheque book. What do I have to do?

If your cheque book is already CTS-2010 compliant, you can continue using the same and there is no further action required.

Q3. My cheque book is not CTS-2010 compliant. How do I order a new cheque book?

In case your cheque book is not CTS-2010 compliant, please order a new one with your existing Banker as per the regular process. All cheque books issued now, will be CTS-2010 compliant

About these ads

33 Comments on “New RBI guidelines for Cheque Truncation”

1. [...] New RBI guidelines for Cheque Truncation (consumerresources.in) [...]

2. vipul says:

i have taken a home equity loan from cholamandalam dbs finace co ltd in 2010 now as per rbi i am ready to give a new cts chq which i have alleready given a post dated cheques to cholamandalm upto 2013.Now i contacted through phone to customer care & branch office to the company for return my cheques which i have give a post dated upto march 2013 which is not a cts cheque they r telling we will not return the return , may i know please what the rbi has to bankre’s that not to return the non cts chq to cutomer or not.

3. yazdi says:

The deadline has been extended to 31 March 2013 by RBI

4. Bhavana. says:

Ji,
    It would be better, if you go in person for clarification. At present its being said that non-cts cheques presented after March 2013 would also be cleared by charging a fee. Also the clearance wud take a comparatively long time.

5. Ahmed Kabeer says:

What is this CTS? and What for?

6. teja says:

sir, i am teja.31-3-2013 after ,old cheques clearance yes or no?

7. shusta says:

do i need to return my old cheque book to the bank before the bank could issue me a new CTS complaint cheque book

8. Raj says:

Please be careful with banks, You must take the old checks if you give them new checks, else they can use the old check and cause you in trouble. Also if they try to charge you for exchanging checks, that is not legal. Please take everything in writing, before you exchange. Some banks can cause you alot of trouble in the future.

9. virendra sharma says:

sir,
    i have account in sbi branch(uttar pradesh),
    my check book is cts 2010 series..
    please advise me to that ,my checkbook is eligible for after april 2013? or newone tobe issue?

10. anjna says:

well I haive given a cheque of canara bank to someone having sbac at sbi. on23.1.13 it was returned by the clause 56-inoperative though its my salary ac and a certain amount is debited from the sbi acc of the person concerned.please tellme what should be done

11. brijesh says:

IS there any charge taken from customer for new chequebook. if not then please provide me link of rbi rule for no charges taken by rule for it.

12. Gurvinder says:

Sir, just want to check whether non participation of non cts 2010 compliant cheques is for Metros only or it will be implemented PAN india. Also please advise how banks will treate to non cts 2010 cheques if same are deposited post 01 april 2013.

• yazdi says:

Chennai and Delhi have already implemented CTS. Mumbai is now being done. Other cities will be inducted step by step.
      As far as my knowledge goes, non-CTS compliant cheques will not be accepted over the counter, except maybe, for cash withdrawals and internal transfers.

13. Praneet Suresh jaiswal says:

Respected Sir,

I have taken loan for four wheeler in 2011 and deposited 36 check’s to finance company. Sir, some check’s out of 36 are Cts-2010, else are not. I have issued two new check books from bank and I want to cancel all old check’s rather then these two new check books. I don’t have any records of check’s assigned to finance company. Please let me know the procedure of doing this.

14. hitesh jain says:

I AM HAVING CURRENT ACCOUNT IN DENA BANK , I HAVE TAKEN BIG NO, OF CHEQUES ABOUT MORE THEN 2000 CHEQUES IN OCT-NOV 2012, HOWEVER NOW AS THE SAID CHEQUES ARE NOT CTS 2010 THE BANK IS REFUGING TO CHANGE ALL CHEQUES AND ASKING US TO MAKE A REQUEST FOR NEW CHEQUES . AS WE HAVE ALREADY BEAR CHARGES FOR OLD CHEQUES WHY SHOULD WE BEAR IT AGAIN. IS THERE ANY GRBI GUIDLINE ABOUT SAME AS THE BANK CAN NOT TAKE ANY CHARGE FROM THERE CUSTOMER FOR EXCHANGING THE CHEQUE BOOK .

PLS REPLY ME FAST

• yazdi says:

If the cheques have been issued in Oct-Nov 2012, they should have been CTS compliant since it was supposed to be implemented by end of December 2012. Explain this to the Bank and request consideration. IF they do not agree, you will have to go to the local Banking Ombudsman or file a Consumer Complaint to resolve this issue.

I am not aware of any RBI Guideline on this. If anyone else is aware, please advise.

15. UPKAR says:

CAN ANY PERSON RECEIVE CASH AMOUNT IF CHEQUE ISSUED IN FAVOUR OF ANY FIRM BUT IT WILL BE WITHOUT A/C PAYEE CHEQUE

16. vikram s punamiya says:

i have current a/c in axis bank there are charging for new book i think this is wrong they should issuse 1 st cheq book with free of charge

17. rakesh kumar says:

i am propriter of gangwar trading company i find a chaque from Jai durge cement agency of bob purana ganj pilibhit (barbopilibh) this chauque is bearer and my sing. is verified by Propriter jai durge cement agency .but bank not pay bearer plz tell me this chaqe may be cash paymet

18. Rajesh Bhatt says:

Whether we have to submit Original cancelled cheque for ECS ? Is there is any guideline from RBI?

19. abir says:

I had issued a person an A/C payee cheque but due to emergency he wanted the amt on the same day I made a cut were I had written ac payee and I signed it .but the bank didn’t accept it , I would like to know is any rule passed that the a/c holder CNT cancel n make it bearer after making a/c payee?????
    As I remember few years ago I did the same thing and the cheque was passed …

20. please inform the non CTS- 2010 cheques validity date.If issued out of ,city are they valid?