1. Section has been inserted w.e.f. 01.06.2013.
2. Deductor & Deductee: Any person (being a transferee) responsible for paying (other than person referred to in section 194LA) to a Resident transferor any sum by way of consideration for transfer of any immovable property (other agricultural land in rural area in India), is liable to deduct the TDS under this section.
3. Time of deduction: At the time of payment or credit to the transferor in the books of transferee, whichever is earlier.
4. Rate of TDS:-
a. In case of PAN of Deductee is available-1%
b. In case of NO PAN of Deductee is available-20%
5. Limit: No TDS is to be deducted when consideration is less than Rs 50, 00,000.
6. Provision of TAN not applicable.
7. Immovable property means any land or building or part of building. Such may be situated in India or may be situated out of India.
Click Here to read further views / opinions also
Some more comments are available here
One thought on “TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property (Section 194 IA)”
Sir, Can you please tell me if I have already paid Rs. 35Lacs (out of total property value Rs. 65Lacs) before 1st June 2013 and I am going to pay rest Rs. 30 Lacs during July 2103. Will the TDS applicable on pending payment amount i.e. Rs. 30Lacs or on the whole amount i.e Rs. 65Lacs