This is a initiative which could strengthen our RTI Act significantly.
There is now legal help available for RTI users and activists who have been facing two significant problems:
- Threats and attacks when trying to challenge corruption and illegalities.
- Even when they get significant orders from the Information Commissions, these are stayed by courts. Most RTI users do not have the resources to fight these in courts. These stays continue and the information never gets revealed, or the cases are lost since the arguments for disclosure and upholding the decisions of the Information Commission may never be made before the courts.
We are lucky that Supreme Court lawyer Colin Gonsalves heading Human Rights Law Networks (HRLN ) has agreed that RTI users are Human Rights Defenders and offered their services without charging legal fees in such matters. This is a great step and opportunity for everyone in the country. This can help us to strengthen Right to Information and deepen our democracy.
Here is how we can use this fantastic opportunity:
- In case of threats or false police cases because of RTI applications approach the HRLN contact in your state. There are 24 HRNL units across the nation who can help.
- In case of assault approach the HRLN units and also approach the State or CentralCommission and request action as per the Central Commission’s attached resolution. RTI users should try and persuade their State commissions to pass similar resolution.
- When a significant order of the Information Commission is stayed, approach the HRNL unit for help. If they are convinced about the merits of the case, they will represent you in the court without charging any legal fees.
This is a great opportunity which can help RTI users and we should make proper use of it.
Please spread this note to all RTI users, email lists and organizations which use RTI.
On behalf of everyone in the RTI movement I thank Colin Gonsalves and HRLN for this outstanding offer.
Attached: 1. HRLN’s units- contact details
- HRLN proposal
- CIC resolution
All my emails are in Public domain.
Mera Bharat Mahaan..
Per Yeh Dosh Mera Hai.