It is now possible to digitally lock one’s Aadhaar number to prevent its possible misuse by a third party. UIDAI has provided a mechanism for the purpose. It is first necessary to link a designated mobile number for each Aadhaar number to avail of this service.
The following is the procedure to lock/unlock the Aadhaar number:
1. Visit https://resident. uidai.gov.in/biometric-lock
2. Enter your Aadhaar number.
3. Enter the system-generated security code/captcha
4. Receive the OTP in the Aadhaar-registered mobile number.
5. Lock your Aadhaar with a unique password.
Once the number is locked, its use gets restricted and no one else will be able to authenticate it on any biometric device without unlocking it. UIDAI has advised everyone to avail of the service from a security point of view as Aadhaar is linked to bank accounts PAN cards and is fast becoming mandatory for various other purposes.
You can also do this by using the mAadhaar app on your cellphone and enable / disable biometrics with ease. Click Here for details on the mAadhaar app